We enter this world as a blank slate. With each new experience and relationship we begin to form a series of beliefs about the world and our place within it.
These beliefs become the bedrock of our emotional experience because they determine our interpretation of everything that happens to us in life.
This becomes problematic when the beliefs informing our experience are not useful or are outdated. For example, if I believe it is unsafe for me to be who I am called to be, I will live my life constantly feeling like an impostor because I am not being true to myself.
At the 2017 Spring Energy Event I was given the opportunity to talk about how we form our beliefs and what to do when those beliefs become limiting and no longer serve us.
In the talk I cover:
- How our beliefs are formed
- The eight operating principles I work from when working on changing or releasing limiting beliefs
- A simple process you can use to identify the beliefs holding you back and how to tap to transform them
Below the audio player you will find the notes from the presentation.
- We always make the best choice possible based on the __ we have and the _________________ that we are in.
- The goal is to have well _________________ responses.
- We learn _________________ because it is fuel efficient.
- Fear is our _________________.
- Trauma is caused by events that are _________________, _________________, _________________, and in which we have a _________________.
- Our primary work is _________________ rules, patterns, and cause/effect relationships.
- We are notoriously bad _________________ to our own experience.
- As practitioner my goal is to be _________________.
How To Identify The Belief
- Imagine taking the action
- Feel it in the body
- Ask it:
- What is it afraid of?
- What proof does it have this is true?
- Who will be disappointed if you let go of this belief?
- Who also holds that this belief is true?
- What goes wrong if you release this belief?
How To Release The Belief
- Name the new belief you would like to have
- When I tap for this:
- I am not letting go of the people who gave it to me
- I am not saying they tried to hurt me
- I am not saying they are wrong for trying to give it to me
- I am not saying I am wrong for picking it up
- I am not saying it wasn’t useful for them
- When tapping for this I am
- …Picking up a new belief…
- …That is helpful in the moment…
- …I have the right to pick up the old belief in the future if I decide it is useful…